Subject: [Leica] FW: Photojournalists Covering Katrina Fall Victim To Growing Violence, Chaos
From: ahgraves at prodigy.net (Allen Graves)
Date: Fri Sep 2 06:28:15 2005

When I was in college in N.O. in the mid-70's and taking a
photography class, we were constantly warded about the dangers of
going into certain parts of town showing any camera equipment-even an
instamatic. I can remember stories of several tourists being killed
in St. Louis No. 2 cemetery while taking pictures. And this was back
when all the thugs had were .25's and .32 autos. In the last 30
years, the level of violence has just gotten much worse as their
firearms have gotten better. If I was going outside the safer areas
of N.O., I just left my cameras at home.

I think everyone in New Orleans has feared that these thugs would
find some way to spread their violence across the city and,
unfortunately, Katrina gave them that chance.

Allen

On a lighter note,  few years back, one of my friends was walking up
Magazine Street to his apartment and got mugged -for the pizza he was
carrying. His only comment was that it" happened between Harmony St.
and Pleasant St. - Where else but New Orleans!"

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] FW: Photojournalists Covering Katrina Fall Victim To Growing Violence, Chaos)