Subject: [Leica] What would you do if wifey dropped your MP?
From: rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Fri Aug 26 23:16:29 2005

What would you do?

It was earlier today, after our 7 year old's soccer match.  I was
coaching so my beautiful wifey had my black lacquer MP with 35/1.4
Summilux Asph in a bum bag around her petite waist.  As she climbed
out of the Landcruiser to open the garage door, with too many things
in her hands, the bag slipped and landed on the concrete.  There was
this crunchy noise.

"Was that my camera bag?"
"Yes."

Fortunately (?) it landed on the lens and the only visible damage was
to the hood.  It was cracked and shattered from absorbing the
impact.  I've just spent the afternoon with jewelers' screwdrivers,
tweezers and super-glue putting all of the tiny pieces back
together.  It works and now adds a certain panache to the MP's look.

Some of my options today have been to:

- order a new one from B&H.  I could ask her to bring a replacement
hood with her while she's at it (only $89.95).

- rant and rave for several hours, swearing to never allow anyone to
touch my gear ever again.

- hit the broken hood with a sledge hammer, but that would have
denied me several hours of fulfilling fun.

- send the lens to Solms and ask them to check it out.  Maybe the
body too.

- spend the rest of the weekend in the garage or out taking photos,
thereby avoiding eye contact with said beautiful wifey.

- give my sweetie a big cuddle and a kiss, wipe her eyes dry and say
"It's alright. It's only plastic and metal.  And a few pieces of
glass.  Incredibly expensive, exotic and exquisitely assembled glass,
but in the end, just glass."

Thoughts?

Rick.

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] What would you do if wifey dropped your MP?)