Subject: 180: APO or ED? (was Re: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 30, Issue 217)
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Thu Aug 11 22:08:22 2005

on 8/11/05 8:11 PM, GREG LORENZO at gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca wrote:

> Doug Herr writes:
>

>> so B.D. is willing to claim the 180 ED is at least as good as the 180 APO,
>> despite never having used the APO.  I haven't given the 180 ED a
>> decentworkout or test yet, and I haven't used the 180 f/2.8 APO so
>> I'll reserve judgement until I can make an objective comparison. Meanwhile
>> for
>> $159 I won't complain about the ED lens.
>>

> But of course he is. What's the use of having an Ouija Board if you never
> actually *use* it!
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg

Just for the sake of the discussion, let's assume that B.D. is right and the
optical performance of the two lenses in question is identical: every
squiggle per mm, bokeh, flare, color rendition, distortion, light
fall-off... everything.  Let's further assume that the build quality, the
reliability in hard field use is also identical.  In this case would the
only remaining objective critereon be the price?

Consider the prudent system that includes a backup camera body.  To get as
much use out of the 180 ED as I would out of a 180 APO, I'd have to have at
least 2 N-brand bodies.  This is in addition to the Leica reflex bodies I
now carry.  The Leica system isn't going away; the f/6.8 Telyts can be
adapted to N- or other brands easily but the 280 APO can't.  A Leica 180 APO
wouldn't need the two additional bodies 'cuz I already have them.  I'm not
considering the Canon solution, adapting L and N lenses to the C body 'cuz
IMHO the exposure compensation and manual-diaphragm work-arounds do not a
useful system make (IMHO).

Also to get as much use out of the 180 ED as I would the 180 APO, I'd have
to duplicate the extension tubes and 1.4x extender I now have for Leica
reflexes.  BTW my tests have shown that in all but one case the 1.4x
APO-Extender-R doesn't significantly degrade the optical performance of the
prime lens.  The 1.4x APO-Extender-R isn't going away either.

Also to make the 180 ED as useful as the 180 APO it needs a rotating tripod
collar.  It would have been very handy today to have had the 180 on my
shoulder stock/monopod rig.  The STA-1 and Burzynski collars work on the 180
APO; I'd love to hear of any made for the 180 ED.

So to answer B.D.'s burning question, yes it's the red dot that makes me
think the APO is more useful to me.  The red dot means it fits my camera
system w/o additional hardware support (bodies, extension tubes, extenders),
so with the APO it's more likely I'll be carrying all the hardware support I
need when I use the 180.  The red dot also means it works with my shoulder
stock/monopd rig, which gives me several stops more useful shutter speed.

Now recall what I wrote in a previous post: for what I paid ($159) I've no
complaints about the ED.  Fantastic bargain.  But if I leave it in the truck
because I'm not willing to carry all its hardware support along with it in
addition to my R system, it's not money well spent.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com