Subject: [Leica] Canon Anything vs. DMR
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Wed Aug 10 12:17:23 2005

Ok, I like shooting my D70. That said, the quote below just makes
me think that these wunder-cameras are maybe too clever. Takes a
PhD and a direct hotline to the cameras' engineers to figure out what
the hell they are doing.

I'm a bit of a newb, but I read about photogs freaking out when Kodak
or whoever changed the emulsion formula or a paper right out from
under their feet. I can understand. I did just read a post from  a
thoughful
inkjet printer who complained that Moab Kayenta was changed without
warning, screwing up a whole print workflow (this one I could print myself
and see with my own eyes).

I wonder if this digital technology will ever be refined and beaten down
to simple, understandable deterministic behavior - ISO, Aperture, Shutter,
Focus - shoot?   Already, it seems that ISO isn't always ISO, with my
Sekonic flashmeter usually delivering more exposure than my D70 sensor
actually wants (confirmed by a few other shooters as well). Will we need
new (pricey) flash meters with special modes that chase the latest sensor

I've a software development background, and I know that often it takes
alot of engineering to make the front end straightforward. Not a great
example,
but with Word you can turn of the reveal codes and grammar checking and
just type.

There's something to be said for simple gear that performs more or less
consistently year on year. I guess that's not news to Leica forum folk :-)

Oh, well, rant off.

Scott

Message from reddawn at singnet.com.sg (David Teo) ([Leica] Canon Anything vs. DMR)