Subject: [Leica] Scanning Ilford HP5+...question
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Tue Aug 9 17:57:12 2005

On 9 Aug 2005 at 17:13, Richard wrote:

> If you happen to have missed it, I just posted a comparison
> between full LS-4000 and 5400 Elite scans and basically, I don't
> see much of a difference in terms of "lousy grains." It *may*
> make a difference in some negs but for now I am convinced this
> is one of those bad software coupled with conventional wisdom
> things.

May well be.  I don't think there's that much difference between the
different flavors of scanners; before I got the Elite I had a 2710
canon and before that one of the cheap HP units and they ALL did very
grainy B&W -- so much that except for very contrasty negs like this
one

 http://users3.ev1.net/~rcmckee/blog/dance04a.jpg

where I can use the contrast curves to cut back on the visible grain,
I haven't liked anything much I've gotten that wasn't from a print.

I just don't have the hang of scanning silver negs.  Slides and negs,
with translucent dye clouds, sure. Silver film, with opaque grain,
not so much. (And then I see stuff like Steve and Tina get and I
figure out ... yup.  It's not the gear.  It's me.  Someday I'll sort
it out, but right now printing's just too much fun anyway.)

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Scanning Ilford HP5+...question)