Subject: [Leica] Can someone share the secrets of good flash
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sat Jul 16 23:02:34 2005

I don't know what magic they pack in there, but Nikon flash
system rules in my amateur opinion. Bounce, diffuse, a little
fill, a dark room, -2/3 compensation, off camera with an SC-17,
or better yet a nice Stroboframe camera flip, standard TTL with
an FM3a or new i-TTL and matrix metering with a D70 - it all
just comes out looking pretty darn good.

I've done a little experimenting with the SF24 and an M6TTL with
the SC-17. Not enough attention on my part and and no real consensus
on the results.  I've also tried the Vivitar 285 with the cool off camera
cord (keeps the auto sensor above the lens) and have achieved some
pleasing results just bouncing the flash off ceiling and walls, but again,
not enough real concerted attention on my part and no real consensus.

Someday, I really need to blow 5 rolls of film or so with these two
flashes and find a "formula" that works for me with the Leica kit.
I guess I just feel so "spoiled" by the Nikon flash system on the Nikon
gear.

Scott