Subject: [Leica] Re:where oh where is the DMR now Canon
From: reddawn at singnet.com.sg (David Teo)
Date: Thu Jun 30 19:01:12 2005

Hi

I believe that policy should be blamed on film shooters aka us :) cos
maybe the general impression that one needs at least 20 megapixels to
match a film scan (or something to that effect)  is so entrenched that
agencies like Getty and some others were not accepting submissions from
"lesser" digital cameras.  I think the original 1Ds was the first
"accepted" digital camera....

This mindset was not broken for a very long time. National Geographic
is one establishment that insisted on film until one of their shooter
(i think it was Joe McNally?) convinced them otherwise.

Actually, even now, there are still people who think u need at least 20
megapixels or even more to match a decent slow speed fine grained slide
in producing a good print. The funny thing is, there's isn't much
comment about the higher ISO film :)

The truth is that even 4 megapixel DSLRs can do double page spread on
magazines and the "old" D1x had pictures from it splashed across the
front cover and inside pages of National Geographic for at least one
issue (the article shot by Joe McNally).

David Teo "Red Dawn" Boon Hwee
david@5stonesphoto.com