Subject: [Leica] Re:where oh where is the DMR now Canon
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Jun 29 19:09:17 2005

Chris,
For the southeastern U.S. Felix's observations are substantially
correct.  The SE has long been a Nikon bastion and has many, many
dedicated Nikon shooters.  Err rather I should be using the past
tense.  The Canon offerings are selling very well especially the 20D
and the 1DMII.  Both of those models are typically backordered or in
very thin supply.  The D2X is selling fairly well, but probably in the
order of 2-3 1DMkII to every D2X.  Then if you add the 20D's and the
XT's to the mix the sales ratio is probably 5 or 6 Canons to every
Nikon.

The D70 is clearing out with a $200 combined rebate (Store/Nikon) and
is helped by a very substantial sales incentive paid to salepeople.
But Felix is correct, there is not much excitement over the D70s or
the D50.  What was Nikon thinking with the D50?

At this point it is not about pixels or some gee whiz feature, it is
the combination of features, ergonomics, lens availability,
advertising, functionality, and on the professional side some very
substantial incentives to switch to Canon.  Much like the Nikon F
dominated the 60's, I think that Canon's offerings will dominate for a
while.

This level of domination is not good for the business, there really
does need ot be three or four fiesty competitors out there fighting
for the market.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com