Subject: [Leica] Information on the Summarit, from those who repair or have had one repaired?
From: mccluney at sbcglobal.net (Gene E. McCluney)
Date: Mon Jun 27 11:20:44 2005

I take exception to the remarks below.  I have been quite successful
in the dis-assembly and cleaning of several Leica brand RFDR lenses,
and I have sent off the front element of several for polish and
recoating, and then reassembled myself and they work to perfection.
It all depends on how handy you are with specialized tools such as
spanner wrenches and other items you can readily order from
Micro-Tools.
If you take your time, and are meticulous you can achieve good
results yourself.

Different Leica lenses have different optical designs and methods of
assembly.  The 50mm summicron has an air-spaced front element, which
makes polishing and recoating relatively easy from a techincal
standpoint.  The Summarit may have a cemented pair as the front
element group and this makes it more difficult to get a polish and
recoat, but should not make it more difficult to disassemble.

Gene McCluney