Subject: [Leica] Spiratone Stabilizer Processor
From: mccluney at sbcglobal.net (Gene E. McCluney)
Date: Wed Jun 22 23:20:38 2005

>On Jun 22, 2005, at 6:28 PM, Afterswift@aol.com wrote:
>
>>Re traditional darkroom, has anyone had experience using the Spiratone
>>Processor, a machine that mass produced RC prints up to about 11x16?

The Spiratone Stabilization processor was intended for single weight
fibre based developer incorporated paper.  I used one extensively in
the 1970's at the advertising agency where I worked.  The prints were
sort of stable and came out somewhat damp but servicable.  (Good
enough to take to the newspaper for the next days bank ad). You could
put them in fixer and then wash and dry them like any single weight
fibre paper.  We used a Prinz  motor driven rotary ferrotype dryer
for a glossy finish.

I think that later on, Spiratone marketed this machine for developer
incorporated RC paper, but the end result was not a "stabilized"
print, rather the processor only did the developing and not the
stabilizing, and you had to put the RC paper in fix and then wash and
dry.  So the only advantage is that you got standardized developing
times.   If I am correct in my memory,  with RC paper, both "troughs"
in the processor held the developer/activator  I think this info is
correct.

Kodak introduced the stabilized print concept, made the paper,
chemicals, and also made quite a nice processor, much more expensive
than the Spiratone one.

The two chemicals used were called "activator" and "stabilizer".  The
prints were just that, "stabilized" and not fixed.  They would be
good for a few weeks or maybe months, but would eventually fade, as
the image was not "fixed" and washed.

On both the Kodak and the Spiratone machine the "troughs" were
self-replenishing, as the bottles were inverted higher than the
troughs and any chemistry absorbed by the paper would be replaced,
just like a pet watering jar.  The chemicals were quite caustic, and
if you chipped any paint on the chassis of the machine, it would
quickly rust.  These were roller transport processors.  The
transports could be lifted out for cleaning.  If you didn't use the
machine every day, it was prudent to drain it to preserve the
chemistry and the machine.

Gene McCluney

Message from ealadner at comcast.net (Eric Ladner) ([Leica] Spiratone Stabilizer Processor)