Subject: [Leica] Re: Distasteful Germans and Historical Culture
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Jun 23 12:54:53 2005

Chris,

I hope you won't misunderstand my comments.  I have a Nikon D70
as well as an FM3a and some used AIS lenses. I much prefer the "feel"
of the AIS lenses to most of the modern AF ones, and I prefer the VF
of the FM3a to that of the D70.  There are still some older AI/S lenses
that I would like to own - the 85/2 just for example. Give me that 52mm
filter size any day :-)

Similarly, in Leica gear, I like manual focus and metering, and I'd someday
like to own a 50 Rigid for my B&W shooting (my mainstay). If Leica never
builds a smaller RF camera, I might even pick up a clean, CLA'd III and a
collapsible 50, since I shoot 50mm most of the time.  I have some nice
monographs of HCB, Winogrand, Marc Riboud, Eugene Smith and
so on - famed Leica shooters all of them.

*But* Nikon's product design, marketing and customer based doesn't fawn
over the past excessively - vs. Leica's, which does.  This is what I find
disturbing - an excessive focus on the past.

Similarly on the "German" thing. I don't find Germans distasteful. I simply
believe that it just doesn't matter. Children are using excellent Sony
Playstations
all over the country and don't dwell on the Japanese origin of their
toys.  I
have a Mercedes. It's a great car. Not a great "German car."  Hell, it's
probably
built in Alabama or something. Same for BMW. It's the "Ultimate Driving
Machine", not the "German Driving Machine."  Similarly, manufacturered
at plants in different countries.

Same for Leica. I want to see a Leica that succeeds on the marketability
and quality of their *current* crop of products, plain and simple.
PRODUCTS.
Past and national origin be damned.  And I don't see it happening, and I
believe
it's killing the company.

I want to see a Leica that moves RF photography forward; adopts current
camera camera technology and adds their own innovation; cranks out a
new body every year or two; produces a range of otherwise compatible
cameras and lenses at different price points.

A happy day for me would be a new cheaper polycarb Leica body and cheaper
M mount lenses that sold like hotcakes (relatively) while inviting the
ire and criticism
of the "old timers."

Just compare.  Nikon F5/F6/D2X owners enjoy their nice, expensive and
well apointed
cameras and don't damn Nikon for selling a gadzillion cheaper D70's or
N80s.

So why the hoity toity Leica community?  I don't like it one little bit.
I cringe every
time someone compares the "feel of the film wind" on some newer body to
that
of the M3.  It's creepy.

So the history is great, so long as it is the focus of neither new
product design
nor the current customer base.

For Leica, the past is dragging it down.  I for one, would love to see
Leica
purchased by a Japanese camera company.

Scott