Subject: [Leica] Re: new LHSA camera is being worked on but something is wrong about
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Jun 23 00:05:32 2005

Tons of different possible designs and features are possible, still keeping
manual focus.  How about a variable mag switch built into the VF? How
about a really small, light M mount camera? Evaluative/matrix metering
to go with the TTL flash? Multiple metering modes for that matter, including
a nice spot.  Double exposure support. Film window. Rear loader. Integrated
motor wind (my little Oly Stylus has one - should fit). Nice fast metal
shutter
and a fast flash sync (like my FM3a).  A few new flash units, including a
small/medium sized tilt/swivel unit.  Self timer. Centered tripod socket. A
small CM sized fixed lens camera with real RF focusing.

It's not too challenging to go on and on and on. And that's not starting to
talk about digital camera features and designs.

Yeah, this wouldn't be an M (I'd hope for something a little smaller and
lighter than an M anyway). So what? Again, keep the traditional M just
like it is.
Make it ala carte only.

But then crank out a few new mass produced designs to bring RF manual
focusing, the M mount and Leica optics into the realm of technology and
features commonly found on Nikon/Canon SLR's and even cheapo P&S
cameras over the last decade.

Personally, I find that the whole "historical" aspect of Leica user culture
completely sucks.  (I find the whole "German" thing  completely distateful
as well, but that's OT)  The M3 was not the greatest film camera ever made,
not by a mile.

And to get new customers who aren't (1) fully stocked with Leica
gear already and (2) dying off at a healthy clip, Leica has got to look
forward
with camera designs, not backwards (except for expensive special editions
for the collectors and fondlers).

Scott