Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Jun 14 12:12:07 2005

Yes, all those elements do go into the creation of the image. But once you
get past a certain minimal point, the equipment may be the least important
element. You, Doug, would be shooting gorgeous bird photos with any brand of
equipment, as long as that equipment was capable of capturing the bird. I
know you swear by your Leica reflexes, but I doubt that those who buy your
prints would notice the difference if you were using old Pentax equipment.
You might see the difference on the light table, but I don't think anyone
else would.

Again, it comes down to what works for the individual photographer - and to
the individual photographer making the equipment he or she has work for him
- or her. When all I had was a Honeywell Pentax, 50 1.8, Schneider 135 3.5,
and then a Vivitar Series 1 28 - I made them work for me - and I have two
images shot with that 28 piece of crap hanging on my wall. When I went to
Somalia, my "long lens" was that goofy Olympus IS-1 - and it did just fine,
thank you very much. At various times I've shot primarily with Nikon film
SLRs, Canon film SLRs, and Leica Ms, and all worked for me. The question is
which I was most comfortable with, and ultimately the answer to that
question was a combination of Ms and Nikon SLRs. But my comfort had to do
with ergonomics, and with the vision that comes with using rangefinders, and
not with the fact that the Leica glass is the best glass - which it is.

B. D.