Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Tue Jun 14 09:37:58 2005

Mark Langer <langeratcarleton@gmail.com> wrote:

> One hardly needs to state the obvious -- it isn't the
> equipment that makes photography.  It is the photographer.  It is safe
> to say that a great photographer will make more arresting images with
> a disposable camera than an idiot can with the most advanced Leica or
> digital equipment available.

Yet it keeps being repeated.  IMHO this is an over-simplificiation of what
makes a good photograph.  An idea, an eye for composition, an understanding
of lighting, technique, capture medium and processing, and the equipment's
capabilities all play a part.  IMHO the concept is of primary importance but
it will be weakened by poor execution.  Likewise poor lighting weakens the
impact of the photo, inadequate technique and indifferent processing can
also diminish a photo's impact, and poorly-performing equipment takes
another bit out the picture.

We don't all have the concepts or the eye of the masters but we can improve
our pictures - or at least reduce the second- or third-order weaknesses - by
paying attention to the other factors that make up a good photograph.  If
the equipment truly doesn't matter we might as well be using a Yashica or
Ricoh and have more money in our pockets for other toys.  If the quality of
the equipment does make a difference, even if it's a third-order factor,
then a photo with a good concept, good lighting, good composition and good
technique made with a good camera will be stronger than the same photo made
with a plastic disposable.  We're looking at one variable here, the
equipment, and assuming the others are held constant.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest)