Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin's Latest
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Tue Jun 14 15:37:34 2005

B. D. Colen wrote:

> You, Doug, would be shooting gorgeous bird photos with any brand of
> equipment, as long as that equipment was capable of capturing the bird. I
> know you swear by your Leica reflexes, but I doubt that those who buy your
> prints would notice the difference if you were using old Pentax equipment.
> You might see the difference on the light table, but I don't think anyone
> else would.

In some cases I'd agree, OTOH several people who've only seen my photos on
my website have written privately that the newer photos made with the Canon
400/2.8 lack the 'snap' or 'sparkle' of my Leica-optic photos.  And w.r.t.
Pentax equipment - some of the harshest bokeh I've seen from a refractive
lens was in a photo made by a long Pentax lens.  Seeing that in my pictures
would alter my working style radically - I'd avoid backgrounds that would
let the harsh bokeh show up.

Now I grant you I'd rather get the picture w/o the 'sparkle' instead of
getting no picture at all, but if I have a choice between getting the
picture w/o the sparkle and getting it with the sparkle, guess which I'll
choose?  w.r.t. bokeh, the character of the out-of-focus areas influences
the overall 'look' of the picture and often makes the difference between a
good technical illustration and something people want to hang on the wall.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com