Subject: [Leica] Good Writing is Harder Than Good Photography
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue Jun 7 06:41:02 2005

Superb, thanks Tina.
Douglas

Tina Manley wrote:
> At 08:32 AM 6/7/2005, you wrote:
>
>> What I'm never sure about is, when listing a series, as above, should
>> there be a comma before "and"?
>> Douglas
>

> Google can find anything.  Put "commas in a series" in Google and you get:
>
> Commas in a Series
>
> Use commas to separate three or more words,
> <http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000014.htm>phrases, or
> <http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000008.htm>clauses in a series.
>
> A conjunction goes between the last two items of the series.
>
> While some authorities say that the comma before the conjunction is
> optional, leaving it out may cause confusion, so it is better to include
> it.
>
> Words: Use commas to separate three or more words, phrases, or clauses.
>
> Phrases: This morning I woke up, got dressed, brushed my teeth, and ate
> breakfast.
>
> Clauses: In fact, the bus was full of people who got dressed, who
> brushed their teeth, and who ate breakfast this morning.
>
> Incorrect: The street was filled with angry protestors, shouting
> spectators and police.
> (Leaving out the last comma makes it look like the police were shouting,
> too.)
>
> Correct: The street was filled with angry protestors, shouting
> spectators, and police.
> (Makes it clearer.)
>

> Tina
>

> Tina Manley, ASMP
> www.tinamanley.com
>

> http://www.pdiphotos.com
> http://www.workbookstock.com
> http://www.newscom.com
> http://www.americanphotojournalist.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Good Writing is Harder Than Good Photography)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Good Writing is Harder Than Good Photography)
Message from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Good Writing is Harder Than Good Photography)
Message from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Good Writing is Harder Than Good Photography)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Good Writing is Harder Than Good Photography)