Subject: [Leica] Good Writing is Harder Than Good Photography
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Jun 7 08:36:02 2005

Lewis and Clark last week were moving thought the Missouri straights. They
were describing in detail the way the white rocks striated in layers. THey
went on a few pages in their journals. 200 years ago last week.
If they'd waited just a couple of decades they could have picked up a camera
and brought it along. Had a darkroom boat.
Trade stuff with the natives for hypo.
But they got antsy and just had to leave then.

Its been said other explorations were just as daring and innovative and
historically important. The Lewis and Clark exploration was forgotten for
over a century.

But what made it different was not the writing of light on paper or tin or
film.
But the writing on paper.
Their journals were extensive. And those little drawings were nice.

I think from a photographic standpoint the best thing a committed
photographer could do on a certain trip, excursion, project...
Would be to leave their camera at home on one of them.
And do a lot of writing with a pen. Not a lens.
Make some crummy drawings.

I think this would improve ones photography immensely.

Another valid anti-photography photography exercise would be to do it audio.
Talk into the thing and record the sounds of where you were.
See how visual that gets.

Like I always think: nothing more visual than Radio.

Next time when you went out with a camera I think you're whole perspective
would be better. Making for better shots.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/