Subject: [Leica] Film production stills help?
From: mattmorgan1 at mac.com (Matt Morgan)
Date: Mon Jun 6 19:40:03 2005

Not sure if this is off topic: Basically I need some technical advice
on shooting some unit stills on a documentary film we're making. I'll
be using a Nikon D70 and also taking an M6.

Just a bit of background - I used to do professional stills on films
over a decade ago. Quite experienced, but used a couple of Nikon
F4s's and M6's. Those days are long gone, but I have to do it again
using a digital source. I'll be backing up some on film with the M6.

My question is to do with settings on the D70 to get optimum quality.
I really haven't learnt much about the camera as I use it as the
usual spray gun for the kids etc.

So, the tech requirement is: the files have to be provided as both
TIFF and high-quality JPEGs sized at 10cm x 15cm.

It also says that it should be scanned in at 100% at not less than
300dpi. I presume this bit refers to film origination, not digital?

Apologies if this is all basic and obvious, but what quality, size
etc should I set? Do I convert in Photoshop etc?

Any thoughts on the quality of the D70 and it's standard zoom lens?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Film production stills help?)
Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Film production stills help?)