Subject: [Leica] Film production stills help?
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Tue Jun 7 00:25:17 2005

Matt Morgan wrote:

> My question is to do with settings on the D70 to get optimum quality.  I
> really haven't learnt much about the camera as I use it as the  usual
> spray gun for the kids etc.

Program setting for exposure, matrix metering and RAW will get you very
very far.

> Any thoughts on the quality of the D70 and it's standard zoom lens?

I don't know what you mean by "standard". Before I left on my trip, I
picked up a 18-70 consumer (Nikkor) zoom for my D100. In my opinion,
it's a beauty. A real beauty.

At one of the hotels I'm kind of a known character. The white guy who
likes to take pictures. The whole staff turned out in the morning while
I was waiting for my ride. I only got one take on most of them,
sometimes two if I thought they blinked. So here's a machine gun
portrait sessions with the standard zoom wide-open:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Faces

Don't worry about RAW. Do not shoot in TIFF. There is no reason too and
it takes up too much time and space on your cards. Photoshop can handle
the RAW's just fine (at least for me). It gives you a chance to tweak
the color balance and exposure if needed. If not needed, just shoot in JPEG.

Best,
Daniel Ridings
(still tired, just got back)

Replies: Reply from mattmorgan1 at mac.com (Matt Morgan) ([Leica] Film production stills help?)