Subject: [Leica] Leica during WW2
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon May 30 20:31:01 2005

At 05:32 PM 5/30/05 -0400, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:
>Thanks for your clarification of Leica's WW2 history. I got much of my
>information on the Leica situation directly from Emil Keller in the late
>'80s when I was doing a study on the effectiveness or lack of
>effectiveness of WW2 bombing on military production.

It IS odd that Emil would have given you one version of the tale and me
another, especially as he struck me as a very honest man.  It is even odder
that COL Nelson tells the tale the way I related it.  Though neither Keller
nor Nelson were eye-witnesses, Tink Ewald was there, in person, and told
the tale to me, and to others, on many occasions -- and Tink, incidentally,
was a founding member of the LHSA and remained a member until his death.
If you wish, I can put you in touch with his sons, who will simply tell you
the same story, with some embellishments which I have left out as being
unnecessary to the basic story.

No one denies that Else (again, please note the spelling) cycled out alone
to meet the US forces but her contact with them was some hours after Dumur
had flown the Swiss flag over the plant which had cauised the problem for
the advancing US forces.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!