Subject: [Leica] In Praise of ACROS...
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun May 29 06:41:45 2005

On 5/29/05 12:57 AM, "Richard" <richard-lists@imagecraft.com> typed:

> At 07:13 PM 5/28/2005, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>> On 5/28/05 4:57 PM, "Richard" <richard-lists@imagecraft.com> typed:
>>
>>> Whoa, every time I shoot B&W, they look oh so good:
>>> http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/LJPics/crop0007.jpg
>>>
>>> I think I can like Acros a lot...
>>

>> I Love Across it's my high rez film when I'm using studio strobes or
>> tripods
>> outside. Indoors hand held I'd hate to get stuck with it in my camera.
>
> Is there different Acros? Mine is Neopan 100 Acros. ASA100 is not that bad.
> My picture is no work of art, but it's hand held 50/1.4ASPH, at 1.4 or
> thereabout.

Yes but at what shutter speed is the main point.
And it might be nice in the shot we saw even to stop down a little to make
sure you get your focus. The shot looks a little fuzzy from what I remember.
Not good fuzzy.

I just avoid putting the 100 in my camera unless I'm going to shoot the
whole roll all at once for a specific reason.
Unless I have it with another body which as 400 or 1600 in it.

Believe me the kind of shots you're used to seeing and you'd like to get
shots like that they weren't shot with 100 film hand held indoors.
You are competing against tri x rated films.
And they are shooting at a 60th and you are shooting at a 15th.
They'll be ably to make 8x10's and 11x14s and you will be able to make
5x7's. Maybe.
Unless you are a fuzzralist. Heavily into fuzzralisim. And have signed the
fuzzralist manifesto.

My default had been 11x14 darkroom prints shot with 1600 film.
So I'm stopped down two at a 60th and you are wide open at a 15th.
Good luck!
Your decisive moment is going to be "paaachunkclot" (sound of wonderful
Leica M cloth shutter at 15th)
Mines going to be "cichat"
(sound of wonderful Leica M cloth shutter at 15th)

Just looking now again at the shot my eye goes first to the out of focus
whited out wrist watch. That's not a good thing.
As its in the foreground and I'ts the lightest and brightest thing in the
picture. And that's the way the eye works on a shot.
>From looking at the table what you had in focus was the bunnies left rear
rabbits foot toenails. Really! :)
I'd go for her eyelashes and or the bunnies.

It looks over exposed and then not printed down.
Some over exposed shots look worse when you print them down to try to
compensate. I'd like to see if this one does or not.

I like her hair and her belt.
And her Band-Aid and fingers.

Is her hair reddish?
Sometimes I think I can feel color in black and white.
So much for psychic awareness!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon