Subject: [Leica] Game Day - Patience
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun May 29 06:58:15 2005

On 5/29/05 4:51 AM, "Didier Ludwig" <rangefinder@screengang.com> typed:

> Adam
> Great picture seen from the Composition and light. What concerns the 1.4
> Canon lens (by the way I cosndier 1.4 as fast), I'm rather disappointed by
> it's unsmooth bokeh.
> But as said, otherwise a nice pic.
> Didier
>

> Offering this image from my "Game Day" project.
> http://www.adambridge.com/Photos/2005/05/28/_L3U3028-bw.jpg
> I don't have a fast 50mm lens for my 1Ds so this one is using the
> Canon 50mm f1.4.
>  From a digital color image, converted to B&W using Convert to B&W Pro
> 3.0 in Photoshop CS2.
> Comments welcome and invited.
> adam

That kid looks GREAT with the sea of pulsating chairs!
I think if the Bokeh was better the shot would be worse.
Something about the slightly bunchy Bokeh which picks up and amplifies the
chairs. Really!

I'd bring down the shadows.
If you look at the backs of the chairs you can see you focus on the chair
one towards us from the kid. Check out that cup holder. It's sharp the kids
leg behind it is not.
I think if his leg was in focus you'd have a much better shot.
A little denim texture goes a long way. :)

...Is why I like to stop down a couple if I possible can.

Give me f5.6 and I'll be there!
The cinematographers favorite f stop!
And they are shooting in effect half frame!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/