Subject: [Leica] Another camera classic bites the dust
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri May 27 16:27:17 2005

On 5/27/05 11:27 AM, "Nathan Wajsman" <nathan.wajsman@planet.nl> typed:

> I am with Luis on this one. I have never understood the attraction of
> the likes of Lomo, Lensbaby, Holga etc. If someone needs to use inferior
>   equipment for economic reasons, that's one thing (and many great
> images have been produced by people in this category). But deliberately
> using what amounts to a Coke bottle bottom to make pictures and then
> claiming it to be ART or whatever, well...
>
> Suffice it to say that the Lomo will not be missed here.
>
> Nathan

I'm into such things as Brownie Cameras are made of.
This does the "bare bones" thing for me.
Which is think is an important thing for photography; to sometimes go this
route and knock out some rolls with a ridiculously simple none adjustable in
any or most ways camera and find out what that does for your "seeing" (to
sound pretentious about it).
Although in the last few years I'm spent more time scanning the prints and
negs of such photography than practicing it myself.
http://rabinergroup.com/ImagePages/Nellie1923.html
But in the history of camera making there is an abundance of amazingly
simple cameras which are really fun to shoot with an have a more real and
resonant signature than any Lomo or Holga.
I LOVE classic cameras. They are gorgeous and aesthetically pleasing in
every way possible.
Brownies, Folders, you name it.
Graflex stuff. And oh yes! Leica!
And they can be had for the same price as a modernly made ultra cheap cult
inflicting camera like the Lomo and Holga which are kind of fake for me.
Like lets pay the Russians to sell us some shlock.
Recently I found out my No 1 Kodak Jr Autograph camera takes not 620 or some
strange no longer film with a backing for writing but can take regular 120
film!
"Brownie film" as the Japanese say.
With it's Kodak ball bearing shutter
And
25, B, T and 50 shutter settings.
Built in mini cable release.
And 1, 2, 3 and 4 aperture settings
Patented in USA Jan 18, 1910, Jan.7 1913 right on the lens!
Made in USA by
 EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
    Rochester NY
USA
13662
which will be interesting to test to figure out what those aperture settings
mean. Great fun!
And of course the point is somehow against all hope and reason; the pictures
come out anyway. Some do. Enough do.
And with a bigger negative is in some ways more interesting to print than
the 35mm we are used to. More to work with. More meat.

A recent source I came upon this week as a result of one search is a LHSA
fella "Kevin M. Bell" <kevin@cameracollectors.com>
Whose small website has all kinds of stuff. I love especially the books.
http://www.camera-collectors.com. That's how I found it.

I don't need no Lomo. Give me a no 2 brownie anyday.
You get "character" the didn't have to try hard to put it. It just came
naturally.
The main thing being a single element optic.

And I came upon another LHSA member selling some nice stuff Igor Reznik
<igorcamera@adelphia.net>
http://www.igorcamera.com/aboutus.htm
Who I met last year at a LHSA meeting and came upon his site by chance a few
weeks ago looking for a book. I checked and I had his card in my wallet!
He's got everything.
Both these guys would appear to have to be in it as much for love as for
money. I'd much rather deal with people like that. And in this business it's
not too hard if you look to find them.

Let the Lomo users eat cake.
Or Brownies.
Made with left over coffee instead of water.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/