Subject: [Leica] M5 Preview Lever Variations
From: john.o.newell at comcast.net (John O. Newell)
Date: Sat May 14 09:00:44 2005

I noticed recently that there seem to be three different styles of preview
levers on M5 bodies.  There are the early style in black and silver chrome
with the retaining screw with two holes for a spanner, and then there seems
to be a later style that is only black but is used on both silver and black
chrome bodies, and has no holes for a spanner.  Retrieving archived
pictures, it looks like the later style changed, at least on chrome bodies,
somewhere in the 1,354,xxx range, but I've seen pictures of silver bodies
both ways in that range (not surprising, I guess, for a part of that type --
reach into the bin, pull whatever out).

Is there any kind of back story on the change?  How do the ones with no
holes for the spanner come off?  Thanks for any leads on an admittedly
trivial point.

John Newell