Subject: [Leica] The Hitchhikers' Guide To the Galaxy: To Be Avoided
From: wooderson at gmail.com (Matt Powell)
Date: Sun May 1 19:52:11 2005

It wasn't great, but it was by no means a stain on the honour of the
late Douglas Adams' soul or anything. They were too heavily bound by
the source, trying to incorporate the entire story and as much of
Adams' humor as possible, ultimately failing at both. Not enough dry
absurdist dialogue to get by on alone, and a narrative that's slapped
together and rushed just to give the audience something to hang on to.
But if they had started excising too much, the fanboy base would have
been up in arms. The best of both worlds would have been a miniseries
funded at the production value of the film.

The only glaring flaw (aside from narrative indifference) was
Rockwell's Zaphod playing Space Elvis. Far too over the top. Mos Def
was excellent as Ford, completely in tune with the character and style
of writing.

Most Americans didn't get the Ford Prefect joke in 1980, either and
many of the film's British viewers are going to remember the original,
so I don't see how dropping Prefect (which I didn't even notice) is a
crime.

--
MP
wooderson@gmail.com