Subject: [Leica] The Hitchhikers' Guide To the Galaxy: To Be Avoided
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun May 1 18:22:15 2005

At 01:03 AM 5/2/05 +0000, mcyclwritr@comcast.net wrote:
>This is pretty much off topic. Or "OT" to the time-crunched, Internet-hip
linguists in the audience.

>"Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy." See it. The cinenamatography is far
better than the 1970's videotape production that once aired on PBS. So much
for the photographic content.

Good God.

First, the "Hitchhiker's Gude" was orignally a magnificent BBC radio
production, and then a series of books by Douglas Adams.  I never
encountered any sort of videotape version of it and I would have avoided
that one like the plague had I known of it, as I shall avoid this Mother of
All Turkeys.

My God, they have ruined the entire concept of the original show.  Putting
USians in as characters?  What bloody madness!  The show requires UK
denizens, and there are dozens of fine UK actors and actresses who would
play magnificently to US audiences.

One minor, but singificant, example:  a character in the original is "Ford
Prefect".   That is the name of a pedestrian car produced in the 1960's by
Ford at Dagenham, and would be the same as a US program of the time having
a character entitled "Ford Mustang" or "Ford Galaxie".  In this horror of
an embarrassment, he has simply been renamed "Ford" thus missing the entire
point of a significant joke.

I have not and will not watch this offensive joke of a jerkoff of a decent
tale, but I would guess that they have also eliminated references to that
mystic sysmbol which marks all civilizations -- and which turns out to be a
Cricket wicket.

I have been a fan of the GUIDE for too long to be so abused as to view
trash like this.

How low the mighty have fallen.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu