Subject: [Leica] Re:Black ZI
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Apr 25 15:09:13 2005

Mark Rabiner asked:
> Ted you are talking here about "doing a room". Or "shooting a room".
>
> A. By that you mean the paper sent you there to get some news shots?
> B. The convention people wanted some shots for their own use?
> C. You thought they were interesting as you walked by so you sneaked in to
> grab some surreptitious shots to later put in a book you are doing on
> Legionnaires cults.
> D. all or none of the above.<<<

Hi Mark,
In one case it was a book I was working on about the chap that became the
next Prime Minister, Joe Clark.   So I had access to many meetings.

However, I couldn't barge in anytime I wanted, but I was in many
meetings.... but only if I didn't create any obvious movement disturbance /
noise taking my pictures. If there was I was given the royal boot!

But I've used the movement technique many times on assignment where I worked
for major corporations as it allowed me to capture the staff under tension
of discussion that one wouldn't get in posed situations.  Yes you could
shoot a bunch of guys sitting around a board room table and tell them to
look serious. However, most shot under these type of conditions aren't worth
the time of day compared to the "real stuff!"

Actually while shooting the Prime Minister doing a one on one in his office
as he did his paper work. He rarely if ever caught me moving from one part
of the office to another. It almost became a joke as he would say... "some
days you must become invisible... how do you do that?" "A trade secret Prime
Minister!" And smile. No I never told him how nor showed him.

ted