Subject: [Leica] OT Nikons new cameras
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Apr 21 14:58:34 2005

On 4/21/05 7:10 AM, "Patrick (Washington, DC)" <patrick@photo.net> typed:

> 1) it will only be part of the informations that Nikon plans to encode,
> like
> whitebalance setting,
> not the whole NEF format
> 2) I don't know where anyone gets the information that NEF is most highly
> regarded RAW format out
> there. I've worked both with Nikon's and Canon's RAW formats, mostly in
> PSCS
> and I personally find
> the latter one easier to work with.
> 3) Sure, Nikon offers back-ward lens compat, but then again, that very lens
> mount is the reason
> they are not able to engineer a competitive full-frame sensor camera
> offering.
> Additonally, what
> is the point of being able to use good old AI/AIS glass if you don't have
> a VF
> to match?  I tried
> using a 50/1.2 on a D70 for a while - I got 20/20 vision and that was no
> fun/walk in the park.
>
> Nikon - if you find yourself in a hole - stop digging! It seems like Nikon
> is
> giving up on large
> parts of the photographic community and are concenterating on capturing the
> very low end DSLR
> users and photojournalist. And for course the brand-devotees that would
> follow
> Nikon off a steep
> clip...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Patrick

Canon certainly has it's many advantages over Nikon but Nikon as a few
things going for it which many die hard Cannonites will admit.
Nikons RAW is thought it be one of them but if you, Patrick have used both
and like the Canon that's more direct evidence than any second hand compiled
impression off the internet and hanging out at the pro camera store which
I've obtained and others have.

But if this lack of compatibility between the amazing 50 1.2 Nikkor optic
and the D70 low end amateur digital body defines the problems Nikon is
having for you then I'm not with you.

The D70 is gear made for the masses.
And, by the way,  cold be thought of as a Nikon triumph over Canon.
It was the "camera of the year" for just about any source last year.
I'm glad as it kept Nikon in business.
Leica could use such an ace in the hole.

But the D70 is not a camera I'd get.
Its plasticy and airy like Wonderbread and has a dial on top with pictograms
of flowers, mountains, joggers, and there's a profile of lady with a hat.
"Glamour?"

This is not a lens that was thought to be of much use to low end amateurs.
It was used by very serious amateurs and pros and was used by NASA on the
Apollo and Skylab programs going repeatedly into outer space.
I guess we cant say that about our Noctilux.

The 50mm 1.2 AI lens weights 415 grams if you've got a latter one with the
rubber focusing grips,
The D70 weights 495 grams.

One could say the balance for such a combination would be "not ideal" The
lens weights the same as the body and is not even a telephoto.

I had great fun using my 200mm AI f4 lens on my D100 on my white backdrop a
few weeks ago.
It was no problem at all I was using a flash meter anyway.
But I did also take some shots around the studio/house and neighborhood with
this and other AI lenses using a (the same) hand held Gossen digital F
meter.
It worked like a charm. I seldom had to tweak an exposure after looking at
it on the monitor.

It almost even felt "Leicalike".

But a D100 has a much better build than the D70.
And other D bodies have a much better build than a D100 which have been out
or are just coming out. Their use with AI glass I'm sure is nicely balanced
and works out just fine on any level.

On the other hand all last year the Canon competition to the D70 was the
poorest of Tupperware junk.
And was not going to be used with any canon FD glass at any rate.
As was is any Canon Digital body.

I think it would be smarter to tear down Nikon with it's weaknesses.
I'm sure it has a few.
Not it's obvious strengths.

The press photographer I see all the time in my neighborhood working for the
Oregon is using a Nikon D2H as I've said on the list before.
A 4 meg camera it could be thought of as the OPPOSITE of the full frame
Canon. Whose use is the opposite of critical in the majority of areas.
Certainly photojournalism.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon