Subject: [Leica] Re: Let's Just Say That Leica Survives and....
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Apr 21 01:14:32 2005

On 4/21/05 12:18 AM, "Richard" <richard-lists@imagecraft.com> typed:

> I think that's the beauty of the Leica glass. I have routinely print 11x14
> and some times 13x19 with scanned Provia100/400F. Gorgeous stuff!
>
> At 11:35 PM 4/20/2005, Scott McLoughlin wrote:
>
>> Even with a 4000 DPI scan on a Nikon Coolscan mutli-sampled
>> with Vuescan to reduce noise (and so on and on),  I find 8x10
>> is OK or sometimes even pushing it depending on the image. I
>> know there are folks who print much larger (digitally), so maybe
>> I've got something to learn.
>> I read the "Edge of Darkness" book, where Barry Thornton says
>> that he only thinks a Hassie neg should be printed 10x10 inches
>> and perhaps that spooked me as far as bigger enlargements are
>> concerned :-)
>
> // richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly, please
> use richard at imagecraft.com)

Don't believe that garbage.
This is a guy who wants you to think he was weaned on contact printing with
an 8x10. Probably made 5x7's from stuff he shot with an Argus C3 with a
cheap enlarger.

I'm made many a 30x40 inch print from both 35mm negs and medium format 6x6.
The images don't look unpleasantly stretched past the limit. But are
completely viable. I'd seen them all the time coming out of the color rental
lab. So its not like I'd lost my perspective. I knew it was way possible
ahead of time.

I will say the larger format stuff looks better in a certain way that big,
richer than a smaller format shot.
But it helps holding them side by side to see the difference.
But the kind of spontaneity you get with the smaller formats you're not
usually going to get with the larger. With the larger you get a mountain or
a tree. With the smaller you can get a kid racing across the kitchen floor.
Looks great 30x40, that kid.
I hate to say it but ANYTHING looks great 30x40.
When in doubt.
Blow it up beyond all recognition.
Then hang a show. Everyone will think you're the greatest thing since sliced
bread. Its a lot harder to impress them with an 8x10 image.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/