Subject: [Leica] Let's Just Say That Leica Survives and....
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Apr 20 19:26:32 2005

On 4/20/05 6:33 PM, "Robert Clark" <rclark01@comcast.net> typed:

> does actually come out with a digital M.  What's the groups speculation
> on MSRP?  With the DMR increasing in price and the dollar debacle, I'm
> thinking that a digital M in 2006 (2007?)
> could easily come with a price tag of over $6,000.....maybe even 7.
> If Leica survives past this May or whenever they're going to publically
> state what they plan to do to turn the ship around....Just
> thinking......anyone else gotta guess?
>
> Robert Clark
> Lancaster, PA

Leica could get into a digital body at any price point and and it wouldn't
matter all that much I think now.

The issues as I see it is most Leica "customers" you'd really not want to
bring home to meet mom. Leicawise.

Most Leica owners are/were Leica owners only.
I don't think they are/were Leica users so much.

Most Leicas all these years have been "show toys."
Which don't develop much loyalty.
After awhile all they need is an excuse to trade it in for something else.
When digital hit. That was all the excuse many and most needed.

The Epson R1D1 even hit way late.
Non auto exposure is fun. Non AF is fun. Non motor drives are fun.
But when digital hit the mentality shifted to "auto everything why not"
mode.
If they're not going to bother putting film in the camera why bother with
anything else.

Would a crafted digital camera worth of the Leica Solms authentic red dot be
a critical thing?
I don't think so by then you'd have an Epson Cosina digital or Cosina Zeiss
Ikon choice to put your Leica m glass on if you really had any allegiance to
them at all. How many really do. How many Leica owners really ever have
anything blown up bigger than 5x7?

Leica may as well have Panasonic or somebody like that make the red dot
digital lens enabler for them to cash in on SOME of the market share.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/