Subject: [Leica] BD PAWS
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Apr 19 10:22:33 2005

How did we get from shooting scenes in public to pornography? Good Lord.
And "stealing" photos? Well, at least we know where you're coming from.

And by the way, one can do documentary work without asking for
permission and without talking to subjects afterwards - depending upon
what one is documenting. I would politely suggest that you are confusing
doing anthropological work, or ethnography as you would have it, with
doing photojournalism, traditional documentary photography, and street
photography. I can guarantee you that Gary Winnogrand, Lee Friedlander,
and, for that matter, HCB, didn't go up to their subjects afterward to
chat them up and get releases. If all photographers had adhered to your
"high" standards, the world of photography would be a pretty barren
place. ;-)