Subject: [Leica] BD PAWS
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Apr 19 10:21:40 2005

What we're getting from Karen is a heavy-duty academic perspective. I've
run into the same thing at MIT. In THEORY, any projects my students do
are, get this, supposed to be run by an HRB - human subjects review
board! Needless to say, we're not doing that. But that was the advice I
got from the person in anthropology who teaches an excellent course
called Photography and Truth.

And from my view point, you're right when you say that if shooting a
homeless person is taking advantage of them, then shooting anyone
without permission is taking advantage of them. However, that said,
there are obviously degrees of 'taking advantage.' And I would posit
that the more disadvantaged a person, however you define disadvantage,
the more seriously you have to consider the possibility that you are, in
fact, 'taking advantage,' and you have to react to that.

B. D.