Subject: [Leica] Photojournalists and permission
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Apr 19 07:17:02 2005

I certainly agree with Karen's comment that our choosing to take photos
of the homeless - for what is essentially our own entertainment and
gratification - says far more about us than it does about our subjects.
But I think raising ethical questions in 2005 about the work of Jacob
Riis in the late 19th, early 20th century - or for that matter about the
work of W. Eugene Smith in the early 1970s - is of value only from an
academic standpoint. Standards change. And, ironically, over the past
couple of decades the standards in photo journalism have gotten much
stricter.