Subject: [Leica] Re: B.D. PAWS
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Apr 19 07:16:41 2005

Just a couple quick points on this "bum" thing -

1. I took the first shot - last summer - because I was drawn by the
color, what I saw as the humor, the irony, and the contrast between the
homeless man and the woman with her bag and the ALDO window. I didn't
take it as a "bum" shot;
2. I took the second shot instinctively - 'holy shit! It's the same
guy!"
3. Ted, you hit the nail right on the proverbial head - or hit the
proverbial nail on....anyway, you got it...
4. There is a world of difference between a photojournalist - or a
documentarian - doing a project for the purpose of showing the brain
dead that there are unfortunates among us, and Sunday shooters using
"bums" as their target of choice.
5. Rick Carter - I can't believe that you would with a straight face
suggest that you "fail to
see the essential photo subject difference between a sleeping infant
and a bum in the gutter."
6. Karen - there is a world of difference between standards/rules
governing a U. Prof. and a photojournalist. The rules governing most
academic research in fact make it virtually impossible to do any kind of
photography vaguely resembling photojournalism or traditional,
non-academic documentary photography.

B. D.