Subject: [Leica] The Truth : Was "B.D. PAW"
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Mar 26 07:04:35 2005

Of course there's a healthy dose of validity to your point, Paul.
However, I'd suggest that there's much more 'hair splitting' than
validity. Sure, everything from choice of subject, to choice of film, to
lens used, to exposure selected alters the final image. And even more
important than that, as I tell my students there is no such thing as
"objectivity" when it comes to doing documentary work, or
photojournalism; every reporter, every photographer, brings to
everything they cover the sum of their lives to that point - all of the
education; every experience; every prejudice. All we as
photojournalists, documentarians, reporters, can attempt to do is bend
over backwards to be fair, to be honest in our approach to our subjects.

All of that said, photographs "tell the truth" about a millisecond in
time as accurately as we can tell the truth about anything.

B. D.