Subject: [Leica] B. D. PAW
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Mar 25 07:20:46 2005

Oh, God, here we go...:-)
Smith would be fired today because, oddly enough, while virtually all
print and broadcast reporting journalism standards have deteriorated to
a terrifying degree over the past 15 years, those for photo journalism
have markedly improved. Frankly, that may have something to do with the
advent of digital and the increasing ease with which one can alter or
even fake images. While all sort of manipulation was acceptable, or at
least winked at in Smith's day, today's photo journalists are, on the
whole, held to a standard that says beyond cropping, you don't alter an
image. You can use Photoshop to burn and dodge in order to bring the
image close to what the eye may have seen, but beyond that, you don't
fool with the image.

And as to your work - yes, you are a photographer - when you take each
image. But I would argue that your end product is not a photograph, but
rather a "photo composition," or a some such.