Subject: [Leica] Re: 75 f/2 weight & packaging
From: keirst at fas.harvard.edu (Steven Keirstead)
Date: Wed Mar 16 13:58:36 2005

>  > > Is it just me or is it a little...big.
>>
>>And weight as the M7 ! It's a Summicron, after all !
>
>I had expected this lens to be proportionally smaller and lighter than the
>the Summilux 1.4/75mm (like 'cron to 'lux at 50 or 35), but with it's 595g
>(incl. packaging - some paper for a few grams?) -  it's in the Summilux
>category (560g)...
>Didier

I don't think people should panic about the 75mm Summicron-M weighs
yet. I just put the box, leather case, packaging, paperwork and caps
for the 35mm Summicron ASPH on our lab's scale and it measures over
190 grams!

With a larger case and box the 75mm/2 we can expect over 200 grams
for its packaging, so subtraction would give us an estimate of 395g
or less for the bare lens. So it will be less in mass than a 35/1.4
ASPH in chrome finish  or a 90/2.8 black of the current vintage, and
just a bit heavier than the new 50/1.4 ASPH.

It is queer that the Finnish PDF gives packaging dimensions and
weight with the packaging. Perhaps dealers and distributors care, but
users wont give a fig for box size!
--
Steve Keirstead <mailto:keirst@fas.harvard.edu>
Personal Website: http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~keirst/

Steven Keirstead Photography
148 Worcester St. #5
Boston, MA 02118

Work Phone: (617) 495-2683 (Harvard University Biology Teaching labs)
Home Phone: (617) 247-8164
                                        __
                                        \/

Replies: Reply from daniel.rocha at free.fr (Daniel ROCHA) ([Leica] Re: 75 f/2 weight & packaging)