Subject: [Leica] synecdoche and how photographers practice poetry
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Mar 16 08:26:26 2005

Well, I'll tell you, Eric. I did NOT see that photo posted on the LUG by
the person who took it. If it was, and if I missed the original direct
post, my apologies to the poster - because LUG members know full well I
do NOT normally respond that way to posted photos; I make it a point to
either not respond to photos I don't like, or to respond with what I
feel is constructive criticism.

I was responding to something that I thought Afterswift had found
somewhere and posted with an utterly bizarre comment. And I said what I
thought about the photo, particularly given the comment that seemed to
put it on a par with Keats Grecian Urn....

It's bad enough when someone posts a really bad photo here and everyone
oooohs and aaaaahs - which certainly doesn't help the photographer any.
But to important a photo from somewhere else and point it out as an
example of stunning photography....well, sorry, but biting my tounge
isn't one of my strong suits.

However, as I stated at the top. IF that photo was posted to the LUG by
a member of the list, my apologies for having commented on it at all.

B. D.