Subject: [Leica] DMR wins award
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Mar 7 17:03:53 2005

At 4:53 PM -0500 3/7/05, B. D. Colen wrote:
>It's hardly fair, Henning, to compare the DMR at $7900 - cost of a back
>and front ;-) - with a Digital Rebel at $800 or $900. If you want to do
>comparisons, compare the DMR with the Canon EOS1DMkII or 1DsMkII.
>Obviously the DMR is going to still win, simply because the R has such a
>gorgeous viewfinder, but the comparison isn't going to be nearly as
>odious. Likewise, if you want to look at Olympus, look a the E1, not the
>E300. Again, the DMR will win on viewfinder, but it won't be quite as
>much of a trounce.
>
>Meanwhile,looking at the present cost of the DMR and an R9, that little
>combo is now dead even with the full frame, full featured, autofocus,
>Canon EOS1DsMkII. Which also mounts Leica manual focus lenses.

I don't disagree with you BD, and I'm not in the market for a DMR
'cause I never saw enough value in the Leica R system to buy into it.
Also, the EOS 1D, 1Ds etc neither work that well with the Leica R
lenses (no stop down, poor exposure integration) nor is their finder
as good. The Canons obviously have other advantages, and a number of
their lenses need apologize to no one.

The reason I posted what I did was because the comparison was laid
out for me in the previous message, namely that one of the
outstanding advantages of the R-DMR combo is what is severely lacking
in the 'cheap' DSLR's. The E-1 hardly figures into this sort of
comparison.

Now, if you want to compare the E-1 to the 20D....  :-)