Subject: [Leica] Multiple Bodies
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun Mar 6 15:43:35 2005

Seth, with all due respect - and you are due a great deal :-) - you are
so dead wrong on this you're almost coming around the other side.

I do wedding photography; I shoot in situations that require both
contemplation and quick reflexes - and in all the goal is to frame
properly. And the rangefinder, of all cameras, is the best instrument
available for that. What draws me to the M is the fact that I am seeing
my scene through a picture window WITH FRAME LINES DRAWN ON IT. I see
what's happening outside those frame lines, as well as inside; I think
in terms of the frame; I adjust the shot for the frame; I shoot for the
frame.

When I returned to the M from various SLRs the quality of my work
improved - not because of the vaunted Leica glass, but because I started
paying much more attention to the frame.

Surely, you don't think that HCB shot "contemplatively" - or cropped. He
worked his material quickly and rapid fire once he decided what he was
shooting. There is film/video somewhere that shows him dancing around a
subject like a kid who needs ritilan. ;-)

BTW, Ted isn't carrying those bodies to avoid cropping -he's carrying
them to avoid missing shots while changing lenses, just as any other pro
is.

Why do you think so many documentary photographers filed their negative
carriers to produce that ragged-ass black line around the image? To show
that they did NOT crop.

Again, I'm not saying that one should never crop. All I'm saying is that
cropping in the darkroom is a substitute for cropping in the viewfinder
- which is where, ideally, one should crop. :-)

B. D.