Subject: [Leica] Digital Ms et al
From: paul at paulhardycarter.com (Paul)
Date: Fri Mar 4 15:02:25 2005

There's something I don't really get about the whole digital M thing.
Come to think of it there are lots of things, but I'll start with one.

The consensus seems to be that everyone wants a CCD they can use with
their M lenses, and that Leica should make it. Why? There's now a
perfectly good rangefinder body with an M mount. It happens to be
stamped EPSON on the top, but so what?

The thing that makes Leica rangefinders so special is their mechanical
nature. They are fabulous machines for taking pictures with. Mechanical
pictures. On film. If you want a digital camera with the Leica name you
have the excellent, so I'm told, Digilux with the lens made
specifically for digital.

So - digital Leica camera, sir? We have the Digilux. Want to use your M
lenses with a CCD, sir? We have the Epson.

Incidentally, I really don't understand why people want to use M lenses
on a digicam anyway, apart from sheer curiosity. These magnificent
lenses have been developed over decades to work with film, for God's
sake. I'm no technician, but even I can see the difference!

P.

*******
Paul Hardy Carter
www.paulhardycarter.com