Subject: [Leica] Digital Ms et al
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Mar 4 22:06:24 2005

Paul wrote:

> There's something I don't really get about the whole digital M thing.
> Come to think of it there are lots of things, but I'll start with one.
>
> The consensus seems to be that everyone wants a CCD they can use with
> their M lenses, and that Leica should make it. Why? There's now a
> perfectly good rangefinder body with an M mount. It happens to be
> stamped EPSON on the top, but so what?

Paul,

The RD1 is not even close to a digital M. I played with one at
Photokina, courtesy Tom Abrahamsson, and while it had some novelty
value, I could never see myself spending $3K on it. There are just too
many issues around it: the vignetting problem noted by some, the short
rangefinder base that makes focusing at f1.4 a hit-or-miss proposition,
the strange requirement to "advance" the "film" after each shot, etc. I
would very much like to see a quality digital rangefinder on par with my
M6, but the Epson is not it.

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman