Subject: [Leica] NOW R-D1 vs Fuji 400/800
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Sun Feb 13 22:15:01 2005

My experience with comparing my R-D1 with the M7/Nikon LS-40000/"Provia
slides" full color managed workflow is that R-D1 offer the convenience and
quality of digital. Meaning that the color is pleasant with nice and smooth
gradation. Blowing up to 11x14 looks pretty good too, and in some cases,
better than the M7. However, 6MP has less resolution than Provia scans and
that's that. Most of the time it does not matter, but fact is fact.

I don't mind that I can't focus my 90/2AA accurately on the R-D1. I just
don't use it. I do mind that the shutter is awfully loud, the frame lines
are much less accurate, especially the bottom line, and the AE meter is not
as good as the M7. Other than that, it's a fine (albeit expensive) camera.

Of course currently mine is in the Epson shop since the battery gauge
refuses to move beyond the half full position. It does seem to be
relatively common to hear people sending their R-D1 for repairs, so it is
definitely a cause for concern :-(

use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from joelct at singnet.com.sg (joelct) ([Leica] NOW R-D1 vs Fuji 400/800)
Message from simonpj at mac.com (Simon P-J) ([Leica] SOLVED OT: OS X 10.3.8 problems NOW R-D1 vs Fuji 400/800)