Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW 6, Vuescan?
From: tarek.charara at pix-that-stimulate.com (Tarek Charara)
Date: Mon Feb 7 23:41:57 2005

Tina,

My experience is that the Nikon Scanner gets the tiniest scratches and
the smallest dust onto the scan! A couple of negatives that gave
practically no scratches when printed in the darkroom came out horrible
with the Coolscan 5000 - so many scratches and stuff I hadn't seen in
the first place. The same negative came out fine when scanned either
with a flatbed scanner or with a drumscanner. It has to do with the
light that is used for scanning: The Nikon uses LEDs for scanning (high
contrast directional light), the flatbed scanner uses fluorescent light
(like the coldlight heads in the traditional darkroom, very soft) and
when "drumscanning" the negative is in an oilbath that takes care of
most of the scratches.

Tarek

Le 8 f?vr. 2005, ? 01:54, Tina Manley a ?crit :