Subject: [Leica] Re: IIIf and Low-light conditions
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Jan 29 18:14:40 2005

Chris,
Seth's answer as to using your IIIF is essentially correct.  For typical
interiors after the sun sets you will find that a 800-1600 ISO emulsion
is your friend.  You will find that Tri-x, or TMax bumped to 800 is a
good solution if you do not process your own film.  If you do process
your own B&W then may I humbly suggest Neopan 1600?  Nice grain and
tonality if you get to choose your chemistry.

If you choose to shoot color, your best choice in color negative is Fuji
Press 800, some would suggest Kodak's Portra or Supra 800 emulsions.  If
you shoot transparency, then really, your only choice is Fuji's Provia
400 which pushes nicely.

Sometimes, Seth's suggestion of an F2 lens just doesn't provide a fast
enough shutter speed.  Try finding a Canon 50 F1.4, then the Nikkor 50
F1.4 which a fairly often found used in LTM somewhere in the 300-400
range.  New, the Cosina 50 F1.5 has some converts and some who just
don't like it's look.  Unless you like truly soft, flare filled, special
purpose look, then I would pass on the Leica Summarit.  Problems with
the fast fifties in LTM would include difficulty focusing especially
close up, substantial blocking of the viewfinder, large size, and only
decent results wide open.

Many have gone to the 35mm focal length for interiors as there are quite
a few 35 F2 lenses with good performance.  With less magnification,
slower shutter speeds seem more acceptable.  Here, Canon's F2 or F1.8
are probably the most economical solution, but please consider the
Cosina 35 F1.7.

I hope this helps.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com