Subject: [Leica] Adhesives in a Leica lens??
From: Grduprey at aol.com (Grduprey@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 18:06:10 2005

In a message dated 1/23/2005 9:08:56 PM Central Standard Time,
red735i@earthlink.net writes:
I do not believe you are asking if the weight of Leica lenses is less
because they use new adhesives.  Ditto the size.  Adhesives weigh basically
nothing ( if only because such minute quantities are used.)
Where are these adhesives supposed to be used?  they always used adhesives
glue lens elements together, from the very begining, this is common
practice.
 I'm sure there are adhesives used to hold rubber gripping surfaces on some
of the R lenses and also body coverings of all bodys.  According to Karl,
the
tour guide at the factory all Leica lenses are made with metal mounts and
internal workings, no plastic inside the lenses at all.  I realise he does
not
actually work on the lenses, but this is the factory line.  I cant remember
his
entire last name, but I think it is Karl Heinz Wolker.  I will comment that
when I was at the factory for the tour in December, it appears that the
factory
seems to be gearing up for making lens production as its main production,
with
only final camera body assembly, adjustment and inspection in Solms, and the
majority of camera body production being done in Portugal.  The only camera
work I saw was in one corner of the facility with the rest setup for lens
production only.

Gene