Subject: [Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Mon Jan 24 07:03:34 2005

In the computer/digital world state of the art is old hat in just a few
years. I have an new Mac G5 and it takes ATA drives. I have a 40G ATA
drive that I bought for my G3 just two years ago. Clever me thought
that I could just transfer the drive to the new computer. Almost but
not quite. The drive fits just fine BUT they recently added a new
connector to ATA drives. It is smaller and cheaper to manufacture and
is not backward compatible. New drives have both connectors (for a
short while) and old drives do not. I suppose an adaptor might be made
up but adaptors need space and it just isn't there.

What you are suggesting would have to be a large box which can be
gutted to fit the latest into. M cameras can be described as many
things but they do not have much if any spare space after you stuff the
viewfinder in.

Leica is slightly bigger than my corner grocer. They do not have the
resources to come up with something old in a timely manner never mind
new ground breaking technology that would cost billions to develop --
any idea what a state of the art chip manufacturing facility costs
these days?

John Collier

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas M.Sharp) ([Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x)
Message from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x)