Subject: [Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas M.Sharp)
Date: Mon Jan 24 06:34:27 2005

John,
I think this is the point - No one, up to now, has even thought about
wanting to
do it.
Mainly because the products of this genre are NOT MEANT to last a lifetime a
la
Leica, planned obsolescence is the name of the game. PC manufacturers got
close
when someone had the idea of plug in modules, CD-drives and such, pull out
the
old - push in the new. My neighbour has what looks like a very old table-top
PC
stuffed to the gills with Computer,Digital-tv gear, hard disk recording and
all
sorts of other stuff, and that only so he'll never miss an episode of
"StarTrek"
(strange world we live in).
If Leica is in a position to dictate the lifespan, interchangeability,
compatibility of the sensors, software and other bits and pieces I think
this
could be their big chance, and could even put them back on the map as
innovators.
Douglas