Subject: [Leica] The Zeiss Choice
From: billgem at hotmail.com (Bill Marshall)
Date: Thu Jan 13 11:03:39 2005

Seth Rosner wrote, in part:
>"I just don't believe that there will be many people buying these outfits
>in order to use wide-angle lenses at 0.3m."

I disagree, Seth. Of course, rarely does anyone buy any camera for a single
feature. And I doubt that we are coing to see people trading in their M6's
or M7's for a ZI - although they might buy it as a second body. But the
close focus ability gives the consumer one more reason to look at this
camera more closely - at least if Hasselblad & its dealers market it
properly.

I think that you have to see this feature within the whole package. Within
the past 5 years a whole new generation has been introduced to rangefinder
photography through Cosina. In addition there are other first time buyers
will come into the market. This latter group will say "I can start with the
economy model or I can look at something with more features." They will be
joined with current CV users looking to upgrade. What they will see as an
alternative to the CV Bessas is that they can get a camera with a bigger,
more viewable  eyepiece & viewfinder that includes 28mm framelines; they can
get a longer base line that will more accurately focus longer lenses & all
lenses in general; they will get a camera/lens combination that will focus
wide angle lenses down to a foot & a half. And they will get all of that for
$1600.

They will then ask the question: Can I do better? They will see that they
can buy Leica for almost $3000.
"Sounds like a lot of money." they might say.
"Well, you can always buy used," will be the answer.
"What will I get for my extra money or for downgrading to used?"
"Better build quality."
"Will I lose anything?"
"Well, the base line won't be quite as long, the viewfinder won't be quite
as big, the lenses won't focus quite as close, & the film will be harder to
load. But you do get a red dot."

Within the context of the whole package, some people will opt for the ZI.

I also think you undervalue the closer focus. Leica certainly valued it when
they improved from 3 feet on the M3 to 27" on later models. Two examples of
places where I find it useful: 1) crowded groups of people & 2) cramped
interiors - like the hold of an old 3-masted schooner I was trying to take
pictures in recently at a seaport museum. In both cases when I only have my
rangefinder with me, I like the idea that I can focus to within a foot and a
half rather than needing almost 2 and a half feet of working room.

Cheeers,
Bill

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] The Zeiss Choice)
Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] The Zeiss Choice)