Subject: [Leica] The Zeiss Choice
From: s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal)
Date: Thu Jan 13 17:26:38 2005

<snip>
> I think that you have to see this feature within the whole package. Within
> the past 5 years a whole new generation has been introduced to rangefinder
> photography through Cosina. In addition there are other first time buyers
> will come into the market. This latter group will say "I can start with
> the economy model or I can look at something with more features." They
> will be joined with current CV users looking to upgrade. What they will
> see as an alternative to the CV Bessas is that they can get a camera with
> a bigger, more viewable  eyepiece & viewfinder that includes 28mm
> framelines; they can get a longer base line that will more accurately
> focus longer lenses & all lenses in general; they will get a camera/lens
> combination that will focus wide angle lenses down to a foot & a half. And
> they will get all of that for $1600.
>
> They will then ask the question: Can I do better? They will see that they
> can buy Leica for almost $3000.
> "Sounds like a lot of money." they might say.
> "Well, you can always buy used," will be the answer.
> "What will I get for my extra money or for downgrading to used?"
> "Better build quality."
> "Will I lose anything?"
> "Well, the base line won't be quite as long, the viewfinder won't be quite
> as big, the lenses won't focus quite as close, & the film will be harder
> to load. But you do get a red dot."
>
> Within the context of the whole package, some people will opt for the ZI.
>
> I also think you undervalue the closer focus. Leica certainly valued it
> when they improved from 3 feet on the M3 to 27" on later models. Two
> examples of places where I find it useful: 1) crowded groups of people &
> 2) cramped interiors - like the hold of an old 3-masted schooner I was
> trying to take pictures in recently at a seaport museum. In both cases
> when I only have my rangefinder with me, I like the idea that I can focus
> to within a foot and a half rather than needing almost 2 and a half feet
> of working room.
>
> Cheeers,
> Bill

I strongly disagree,
 I believe that people who are going after film  rangefinders in this age of
16+ mp digital cams will have come across Leica in their research for the
latest toys.
The price difference between leica and zeiss will be no factor for people
who are willing to spend these amounts of money.Without a doubt in my mind
these newcomers ,and i know a lot of them over here, will have spend a day
or so on the web researching and come to the conclusion thaty Leica,s are
the ones to have.
They are the amateurs for instance who owned high end Fuji S,s and the like
who have come to loath the platic look and the simplicity of digital
consumer equipment .These are the people who want to enjoy the process again
who discover Tri X and fast Neopan  and lots of grain.
Even the slick smooth look of the new Zeiss compared to the industrial look
of a M will repulse them.
The quote of Starck on the M3 will not escape them after their first 10
minutes of browsing.
I wont bet much.it,s not important anyhow is it? But i believe(did i say
that allready,sorry then,)
that Zeiss/cosina will fail to compete succesfully against Leica.
Market will tell obviously.
best regards
simon jes

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] The Zeiss Choice)